HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - How many pins do you prefer??
View Single Post
Old 07-03-2007, 09:52 PM
pneuharth

Default RE: How many pins do you prefer??

I use a 4 pin sight. 30, 40, 50, 60. The 50 and 60 is mainly for practice, I would never take a shot at an animal that far. I guess the other reason I have the longer distance if god forbid i would make a bad shot on an animal and would need a long distance follow up shot. But even then I would weigh the options before making a choice about the shot. It happened to me a couple years ago I shot a doe and for some reason still unknown to me I hit her way way back in the hind quarter. When i seen the arrow go I thought "Oh SH*T!" She only ran about 20 yards and laid down. I stayed in my stand and watched her for 4 hours. She got up and moved only a few yards, and then laid back down. The longer she layed there the better she looked. So I had a hard choice to make. 1 sneak out and come back in a few more hours, which was my first thought. But i thought if she suddenly gets a burst of energy and gets up and moves a hundred yards with no blood trail I might not find her. 2 sneak up and try a follow up shot. I ended up sneaking with in 25 yards of her and made a perfect double lung and she died in her bed. I got very very lucky on that deal. You just never know when you might need that extra shot for a clean kill.