HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - How many pins do you prefer??
View Single Post
Old 07-03-2007, 07:31 PM
flyfishpj

Default RE: How many pins do you prefer??

ORIGINAL: Arjuna

Like Rick James, I mix it up. I have shot one pin all season. I have shot three. I have shot five for the last two years. This year, I'll shoot seven, because I am practicing out so much farther than I ever have (95 yards). My pins are set at 25,35,45,55,65,75,and 85. Will I take a shot at a deer over 40 in a hunting situation. NO. I might not even take one at 30 if I don't feel good about it. The longest shot I have taken on a deer was at 38 yards. I drilled her and she went down inside 35 yards. I don't want to shoot outside that range on a hunt, but I like knowing and practing through the season. I often shoot on my way out of the woods and take a practice shot from the treeat long distances before I get down, just topractice.

I have never made the mistake of using the wrong pin.( Not that I am arrogant enough to say that it won't happen) I use a laser range finder and know my yardage for the most part.

We'll see how 7 pins works this year.
That is a great point!! I guess extra pins may not be used but create a huge sense of confidence. It's like joining a weightlifting contest and practicing squating 500lb. when you know you will only be going for400lb.in the contest. It preparation.