HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Hog Hunters.....couple of questions....
Old 07-03-2007, 07:43 AM
Critr-Gitr

Default RE: Hog Hunters.....couple of questions....

As far as hunting at night, that is the way I prefer to do it. Nothing wrong with it here in TX, as much crop damage as they do, we can hunt them pretty much any way you want.

As far as feederlights go I think the TexasBoars lights are the best, but what I would REALLY reccommend is the Hawglite. It screws into the stabilizer threads on the front of your bow and is activated by a pressure switch. You can draw, get on target, and then punch the switch for the light to come on. I prefer the blue or red filter. Main thing on hogs is that moving light creates shadows which spooks them. That is one of the good things about a feederlight that is already on when they get there, it is stable and won't spook. That is also the reason to be on target before you punch the switch on the Hawglite, and for using the lower intensity red or blue filters.

You will also need a pin light or a tritium pin. I use treestands, but they don't have to be very high since you are in the dark anyways. I just get them about 10 feet up so nothing trips over me in the dark, because most of my setups are pretty close. Probably most important is that a hogs sense of smell is way better than an old mature buck, treat it accordingly. They are also much smarter than most folks give them credit for.