HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Hog Hunters.....couple of questions....
Old 07-02-2007, 09:21 AM
mez
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Hog Hunters.....couple of questions....

The meat will be fine on ice for a week. Just add ice every day so it stays cold.

If you are going to have a majority of the meat processed I woulnd't even field dress them. Lay the pig on his belly and skin from the back down. Take out the loins, take off the hams and shoulders and neck meat. A couple guys can do this on the spot in about 20-30 minutes. If you lay the skin out it will keep the meat clean. No need to open them up if you do this. I usually take a couple pillow cases with me and 100# or less hog the meat will fit in a pillow case, lets it breathe and keeps it clean.

If you are going to cook one whole gut it like a deer and take the head off then just split it down the middle. That would be a lot more work and outfitter should have the tools and a place to hang them.

I make most of mine into sausage of different types. It is very good and reasonable to have done. If I kill a sow I'll take the loins and keep them whole and grill them. The rest goes to sausage. I'll get flamed for this but if you are going to cook one whole make sure it is a sow. Some of the boars are gamey, even the little ones. I've had a90lb boar that stunk when you cooked it, couldn't cook the meat in the house and couldn't eat it when cooked outside. That was with a pig that was trapped, I killed it and cut it up immediately, put it on ice water in a cooler for three days, etc. The meat was taken care of correctly, some boars are just bad. There's a reason they don't sell boar meat in the store. The other 4 boar pigs of the same size, likely same litter that came out of the trap were fine, but one wasn't . Better to make the boars into sausage and not take the chance of getting a bad one if you are going to cook whole.