HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Pen Raised Quail
View Single Post
Old 06-22-2007, 09:33 AM
SamPAhunter

Default RE: Pen Raised Quail

I do know that a bird raised in a sheltered pen can not survive in the wild because they don't produce the oils to protect their feathers which protects themfrom the elements. Plus they don't want to fly.
Ive raised and released gamebirds for acouple years now and Im not trying to start an argument but that statement is completely false. Birds raised in pens just as well as the wild can produce and do produce the oils the need to fix up their feathers. Every bird is born with the oil gland it sits right behind the tail. I raise Jumbo Bobwhites for release and also Mongolian(Blue-Back) Ringneck Pheasants. It's all about getting them outside as early as possible. Thats why I dont start hatching chicks until around April-May. My rule of thumb is for both pheasants and quail that you should release them at 6-8 weeks of age. I also start introducing greens to their diet...like clover and lettuce. And also berrys and grains. Also you want to give them as little social interaction as possible. My birds fly extremely well and would be surprised if you would ever have to kick one of my Ringnecks to get it to fly.