HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Caliber Selection
View Single Post
Old 06-18-2007, 11:57 AM
Folically Challenged
Fork Horn

Default RE: Caliber Selection

ORIGINAL: ipscshooter

ORIGINAL: younggun308

it's a grown man we're talking about here, if the recoil bothers him, be can get a LimbSaver, those are great, even a muzzlebreak if he wants to.
"It's a grown man"? What? Are you implying that if someone doesn't like the recoil of a magnum they are something less?
+1!

I'm 5'10" and weigh202 lbs. I lift weights, I run, I can hang with any of the hard core chix in the aerobics classes, and I'm a practicing black belt in Tae Kwon Do. I'd like to think I'm decently muscled, reasonably fit, and more flexible than most. For me, shooting my 8½ lb. .30-'06 setup takes constant attention to my breathing, my form, and my trigger control. Anybreak in that concentrationresults in a flinch.

Most of this stems, I think, from when my fathertaught me to shoota .243 when I was 11 years old - without any hearing protection. We shot only enough to sight in (with no thought of becoming proficient from any shooting position but prone, andwith a rest), & the muzzle blast from that rifle taught me how to flinch - badly. I'm still unlearning those lessons to this day, mostly by shooting offhand with a .22lr that weighs almost 8½ lbs.

At my local range, there are tons of people out there who shoot M1's & M14's, and the majority of them flinch, some badly. There's more to marksmanship than making the gun go "bang". In my experience, pretty much all guns will do that.

The .270 and 7x57 (7mm-08) can't really be considered "ideal" for elk & moose, but it's not like they're impotent, either. A guy who can hit a 10" pie plate10 times, offhand, at 100 to 150 yards with these calibers is very likely going to bring home meat. I'll bet cash money that I could get at least 7 or 8 into the plate with my .30-'06, but I wouldn't give those same odds on a more powerful cartridge.

I think it's incumbent upon gun salespeople to discover a guy's shooting background, and to let them know that hunting game that requires a more substantialcartridge will also require lots and lots of practice. Correct practice. And if the customer's not willing to do that practice, they should be prepared to have a rough go of it in the field. People don't want to hear bad news, but the facts are the facts.

FC