HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - what will be your next firearm?
View Single Post
Old 01-21-2003, 09:06 AM
seattlesetters
Typical Buck

Default RE: what will be your next firearm?

I hope to acquire three new rifles this year. If it doesn't work out, then two with one in the works will have to do.

The first will get going in late Spring and will be a custom .338-06 built on a Mauser action. It will sport a 23" Pac-Nor barrel, MPI synthetic stock, Decelerator recoil pad, three-position safety and Jewell trigger. It will wear a Leupold Vari-X III 2.5-8x36mm Matte Finish scope.

The second will be a youth rifle, probably a Remington Model 7 or Winchester Model 70 Featherweight, either in .260 Rem, 6.5x55, 7x57 or 7mm-08. I also might look at the new Ruger synthetic in any of these chamberings, if they are available. It is for my 12-year-old son. My first choice for the cartridge is the 7x57. Handloaded, he should be able to take anything up to an including moose and elk with that round. Probably end up putting a Leupold VXII 3-9 on it.

The third will be another custom rig built on a pre-'64 Model 70 Winchester action, 24" Lilja Octagon barrel, High Tech Specialties stock, Decelerator recoil pad, Jewell trigger, three position safety, with all parts teflon-coated battleship grey. It will most likely wear a Zeiss Conquest 3.5-10x44mm Matte Finish scope. I am still wavering back and forth on the chambering. Right now, I'm leaning toward the .260 Rem. But about every other day I change my mind to the 6.5x55 Swedish, then I change it back to the 6.5mm/.284. If the rifle ends up being a 6.5mm/.284, the scope will be the Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x44mm Matte Finish.

Good Dogwork and Good Hunting