HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Green mt. barrel hang fires?
View Single Post
Old 06-10-2007, 08:36 PM
cayugad
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Green mt. barrel hang fires?

ORIGINAL: txhunter58

Took my new Green mountain barrel out yesterday for the first time. I could not get it to fire with 777 without a hangfire on my T/C renegade. Brought it home anddid a good soap and water cleaning followed by a butch'sbore shine.

Thought maybe the 777had something to dowith it, so today I got some pyrodex select, thought that might make a difference. Same thing,2 out ofthree shots would have a hangfire. I solved the problem byloading with bullet andpowder, then taking the nipple out and pouring a few grains in under the nipple, no more missfires, but I hate to have to do that every time.

Any suggestions on what may be causing this? I was using CCI # 11 percussion caps, that were a couple of years old, but they seem to go off every time and as I said, with a few grainsunder the nipple, no problems.

[hr]

That is strange because my GMB's shoot about anything I put down them. First things I would do is make sure the nipple is not clogged. Also make sure it is a stainless steel hot shot nipple. Next I would get some new caps. Some CCI #11 MAGNUM caps, or RWS Dynamite Noble 1075 would be my choice. Remington claims their new caps are 40% hotter but I think they meant 40% duds.

Also make sure that barrel is real clean. Do a good soap and water bath just in case there is grease in the bolster. Remove the bolster clean out screw when you give it that water bath. And really force the water through there. Then set that barrel up somewhere and pour boiling hot water through it. Then WITH LEATHER GLOVES ON, run a couple of dry patches to make sure the barrel is dry, then run a good oil patch through the barrel to protect it.

Before you shoot next time, swab the barrel with some 91% isopropyl alcohol. After that run dry patches down the barrel until they come up bone dry. Then on the jag, push a patch to the bottom of the breech and pop a #11 cap. Now pull that patch and inspect it. There should be burn marks on it. If there is, that means fire is coming through the bolster fire channel into the breech and the rifle should fire. Now pop two or three more caps through the rifle.

After you then load but before you cap.. take a nipple pick and push it through the nipple into the bolster. This will make sure the fire channel is open as well. Also turn the rifle to the lock side and slap the side of the rifle. This will force powder into the area where the fire channel exits the bolster and enters the breech.

If all this fails, try some Goex Black powder. If the problem persists, then I would get a hold of GMB and ask them to trade it out as it does not work properly.

So basically check your caps, and your nipple and pay attention to your loading procedure. If the hang fires were happening after you swabbed, swab the barrel with pure isopropyl and then run some dry patches through the barrel. This is all I can think of.