HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Green mt. barrel hang fires?
View Single Post
Old 06-10-2007, 08:34 PM
sabotloader
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Green mt. barrel hang fires?

txhunter58

I have three of the GM percussion barrels and I really can not say that I have a real problem with hangfires...

A couple of thoughts I might share with you, one I have switched to T7-3f instead of 2f. I am a lot more confident about the powder getting out the flash channel from the barrel and under the nipple with 3f. When I load I place the rifle on angle that will aid the powder falling into and under the nipple. I also will then with the palm of my hand tap the side of the rifle opposit the nipple and hopefully force a little more out under the nipple. 2f tends to jamb up in the flash channel and not make it out under the nipple. two, if there is any moister at all in the flash channel area the powder will not make it out and it might be a devil to get started. So if these hangfires are occurring after swabbing the barrel your patch is probably to wet... Do not use a wet patch, use a moist patch. I use regualr windex with ammonia as my cleaner, I prepare a bunch of patches and then push as much windex back out as I canwith my thumbs.The ammonia inWindex or the alcohol in Cayugads solution will help the moisture evaporate. If you have used a wet patch and then follow witha dry patch it will not dry the moisture at the bottom of the breech or what may have gotten into the flash channel.

Next time you shoot or even now that you have shot sid you ever see powder out under the nipple?

If you are using CCI #11's that might also be part of the problem. CCI make two #11 caps, one is a standard #11 and the other is a #11 Magnum. The tin will say Magnum on it. If I could suggest and if you can find them get some Dynamit Noble #1075+ caps they are the ones that I use and have really been good for me. I'll use CCI #11 Mags in the warmer weather but when it is really cold I go right to the 1075's.

I just gave you some thoughts without knowing more information it is really hard to pin-point the problem... Hope some of this helps...