HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Lee REAL Bullets - An Interesting Finding
Old 06-09-2007, 12:38 PM
Semisane
Boone & Crockett

Default Lee REAL Bullets - An Interesting Finding

The target below was shot on 6/4/07 with 250 grain Lee REALs over 100 grains Pyrodex. The first two shots were with regular "RS", the last three were with "Select RS". I usedCircle Fly Vegtable Fiber wadsunder the bullets.The wads had beensoaked with Lee Liquid Alox, and then dried. The bullets were lubed with CVA "Grease Patch" lube.

The interesting thing is that the two shots with regular RS had the exact same velocity of 1612 fps(I verified they were separate readings on thechrono) and the three with Select RS were allover 100 fps faster.

The second thing is, I shot the same 100 grain load back in the middle of May (see post "Dang Flyers! Why? Why? Why?") with thesamelot ofRS powder used in the first two shots here, and got and average velocity of 1510,100 fps slower than in June. The differences were (1) the temperature was about 10 degrees cooler inMay, (2)Iswabbed between each shot in May and did not in June, and (3) the May bullets were lubed with Lee Liquid Alox and dried.