HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Hunting planted pines
View Single Post
Old 06-08-2007, 09:02 PM
StrutNtom
Typical Buck

Default RE: Hunting planted pines

Here in SC and through out the South East there is nothing, but planted pines left thanks to the timber industry. So we have had to adapt to hunting them. All of you guys are missing out on a lot by just hunting the outer edges. If these trees are 20ft tall then they are more than strong enough to support a small 10ft ladder and hunter. I have a small 10ft steel ladder stand that I bought years ago that works perfect to these places. The most important thing is keep your movement down and of course the wind.

One advantage that you have is pine straw. Its very quite to walk on, esp. when its wet or damp.

My biggest buck to date came out of an area just like you are describing. The only thing difference is that the stand I was hunting out of was on top of a hill so I could watch over another hill top which was more open and covered in tall grass that the deer liked to bed and sun in.

These areas don't look like much, but they hold deer. I would imagine that they would hold more deer up in your area than down here in the South b/c the pines would produce more warmth from the snow and wind.

Just get in there, you never know what you are missing.