HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Habitat for Turkeys
View Single Post
Old 06-08-2007, 12:50 PM
huntnma
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Habitat for Turkeys

ORIGINAL: daleh
huntnma,
Some question about your habitat. How many acres is your place? how much wooded, left out,and ag? when time of the year have you been burning and how much? what species is hunted there?
was that pic of a wildfire or a night burn ?
i honestly don't know the exact percentages off hand...the oneWMA consists of nearly 31,000 acres. The WMa is a mosaic of cabbage palm/oak hammocks, slash pine uplands, cypress swamps, and freshwater marshes which run along 19 miles of the river, so there's alot of marsh....but theres still plenty of the rest.The other area is around 6,100 acres consistingof amosaic of open pastures(leased for cattle), river marsh, hardwood, and cabbage palm hammocks(not alot of hardwood/hammocks, but there is some)......
we burn depending on what is due in the rotation....some zones are every 2 years, some are every 3-4 yrs.,some zones we burn in the growing season, some we don't...it just depends...under the old management,we used to do alot of aerial burns, so we could complete all of the zones, but they really did some damage in areas,it was always a rush to getem done, which was the wrong way of thinking...so under the new management we've changed our thinking and the way we burn, we're thinking more of the wildlife now, all wildlife...smaller zones will be created so we canburn them by hand and not helicopter.... we're also doing alot of mechanical removal/restoration now as well....
deer, hogs and turkey are mainly hunted...coyotes are legal to take during all of the hunts.
hope i answered your questions...if not let me know, lol....