HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Arrow cutting
View Single Post
Old 05-30-2007, 08:55 PM
Len in Maryland

Default RE: Arrow cutting

Dave:

I have to agree with archer 2. Bigg Bull's response was very straightforward and stated reality.

Asking for good service is not nit-picking.

Good service is what I always try to provide, but there is a limit of what I can offer and still be competitive in my marketplace. Keep in mind that BPS is 7 miles away and Dick's is only 1 mile away. I've also got two other Pro shops within that 7 mile radius.

Many of the manufacturers send their shafts in with nock installed. To cut them at the nock end requires removing those nocks, which can be damaged somewhat in the process, cutting the shaft at the nock end and then re-inserting the nock. If it has to be done a second time, the chances of damaging the nocks increase. All of this is extra cost and can cut extensively into whatever fixed profit we had set.

If I'm paying for arrows that are supposed to bewithin a certain tolerance, whether paying $65 or $200, then the arrows should be within those specs.

As I've stated many times on this and other forums, the manufacturers advertise the tolerances, not the PRO Shops. The fact that they are seldom met by many manufacturers cannot be the responsibility of the shop. In an effort to offer my customers better product yield, I try to steer them to the better manufacturers. But, due to advertising and name brand recognition, I am forced to carry certain brands in spite of their shortcomings.

And it's just as much the shop owners responsibility as it is the manufacturer. The shop owner represents the manufacturer by carrying and selling their products.

The only areas where we generallysign yearly contracts are with bow manufacturers, and even that is not 'set in concrete.' We try to have a 'relationship' with manufacturers, but that is most often very touchy.

If they feel the products are not up to spec then they should contact the company or stop carrying the product.

I've tried this with many manufacturers but I usually wind up irritating the company and/or customers for not having a certain 'popular' product that they want.It's a 'Catch 22' situation for many of us Dealers.

And one more thing, selecting a dozen arrows out of a 'bunch' is not done by me and I don't allow it by any of my customers. If I were to allow that, the last customers buying within a certain batch would wind up with nothing but the 'bottom of the barrel.' That last customer could be just someone like you; or, someone like the shop owner who couldn't get rid of the garbage and have to 'eat' it. I encourage my customers to spine their arrowsbefore they leave the shop to 'select' the better ones for broadheads and use the others for practice. After all, this is what I do!!