HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Arrow cutting
View Single Post
Old 05-30-2007, 07:25 PM
brucelanthier
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Arrow cutting

ORIGINAL: davepjr71

Have you started building your spine tester yet? I believe you were posting on the same thread I was on the spine tester built by Black Frog?
I have not yet decided that I am going to make one or that I need one yet. Couple of reasons: I spoke with Len about the shafts I use, he also uses them, and when he got the brand into his shop he tested the spine on a large group and found it to be very consistant across all of the arrows. Sure, you can always get the bad arrow but he showed me a way while paper tuning that I can also do a decent check of the spine (rotate the nock). So, what I do now is run my arrows through paper and see if the tear changes while I rotate the nock 120 degrees. All of the arrows I have now checked out good. They shoot good groups out to 50 yd with regular blazers, mini blazers and feathers. They shoot good groups out to 40 yds using broadheads on the reg blazers and feathers (don't have the broadheads for the mini's yet).

What I guess I am saying in a longwinded fashion is that I have found a maker of carbon shafts that I think makes a high quality product so now spine testing with a device has become less of an issue for me. Now I didn't get them for $55 a dozen but I don't think $104 + shipping for 12 useable arrows is bad either.