HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Arrow cutting
View Single Post
Old 05-30-2007, 05:58 PM
brucelanthier
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Arrow cutting

What I have seen and heard in talking to a guy that worked at the "pro shop" near where I live is that most arrows arrive already fletched so that the shop can only cut one end, the tip end, off. I suspect, but do not know for sure, that these are the lower-end arrows (pre-fletched)that the manufacturer sends and not the high-end arrows. If I were going to buy arrows from a shop I would ask for unfletched arrows and ask for them to trim both ends. In doing that I would also expect to have to wait or even come back to pick them up.

All of this is part of the many reasons I decided to invest in my own arrow making equipment. Although I am new to archery/bowhunting I expect to be involved year-round for the next couple of decades, at least, and with the only good pro shop 60 miles away (Len's) it seemed more cost effective, not to mention much more rewarding to build my own arrows, among other self-sufficient archery/bowhunting stuff. The satisfaction I have already received from "designing" and making the 3 types of arrows I'll be using this season AND seeing them perform like I hoped is very rewarding.

One other thing about cutting arrows. When cutting an end I spin the arrow while making a first "etch" around it and then keep spinning while making the finishing cut. This makes an extremely clean cut. I have taken a piece of shaft and just shoved it through the cutter and this makes an ugly, almost frayed cut. If you are having someone else cut your arrows I would definitely ask them how they actually cut the arrow and if they just run it through without spinning it and double cutting then I would take my business elsewhere.