HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Motion sickness?
View Single Post
Old 01-17-2002, 06:25 PM
Biteme/Paul Mohr

Default RE: Motion sickness?

Aparently you have something like reacuring or constant vertigo. I am sure there is a technical name for it, but my doc just said it was vertigo. Man do I feel for you, you have my utmost sympathy. I had vertigo for over a month a few years ago. It got so bad I could not even walk sometimes. I just layed it bed and hoped I would die. It almost drove me nuts. Actually I think I was already going nuts, and the vertigo was one of the symptoms.

I can not imagine dealing with this on a daily basis, but my doctor said it was a possibility and some people do. I told him to quit raising my spirits so much. After the first week I wanted to know what was wrong and how to fix it. He said it was not that simple to diagnose, but it was usually some sort of infection that had to run it's course. And unfortunetly you could really not treat it that well. I wanted a cat scan or something, but he said to just take it easy and see what happened. Finnally it slowly went away, but I am scared to death it will come back.

I did not mean that in every case it is a mental thing, but often times people can convince themselves they are sick when they are really not. I now a guy that can get sick if he hears waves or sees a boat at the movies. It has a lot to do with sensory cues and how your brain reacts to them. But some, like in your case have inner ear problems that make them very sensitive to motion. I know for a while when I had it I could not even ride in a car. My brother drove me the doctors once and I had to curl up in ball in the back seat just to keep from screaming and getting sick. (also the day I wanted the cat scan!)

You should deffenitely talk to your doctor about this. I am going to hazard a guess and say that if it is a medical problem you are going to be S.O.L. drugs may not help much. If they did your doc would already have you using something. I bet he tells you to stay off the boat.

By the way, the hypnosis thing was a joke.

My prayers are with you Clint, You are "the man" for controling it and doing what you want any way.

Paul

Edited by - biteme/paul mohr on 01/17/2002 19:37:29