HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 460 vs 454 Casull
View Single Post
Old 05-27-2007, 01:36 PM
eldeguello
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: 460 vs 454 Casull

ORIGINAL: Colorado Luckydog

If you're shooting a S&W 460, how much difference is there in these two rounds? I can only find the 460's in 200 grain around 2100 to 2300 fps. They are kicking my skinney ass. If I went to the 454 Casull, would the kick be a lot less, or close to the same?

If I stayed with the 460 round in a heavier grain at a slower speed, would it kick less? Say a 390 grain at 1500 fps, and keep my shots at less than a hundred yards.
Talking about factory ammo, it seems to me that the .460 S&W is loaded to higher energy levels than the .454 Casull, but about the only effective ways to make either one manageable from the recoil viewpoint are:

A. Use a heavier gun, or
B. Use a gun that has a muzzle brake arrangement of some sort, like the Taurus Raging Bull has, or
C. Load your own ammo to a lower power level.

The use of HEAVIER BULLETS will not lower the recoil, but it might FEEL like less because the slowerbullet acceleration might stretchthe recoil out over a longer time period, making it feel more like a shove than a sharp jab!

Do you guysthink the 454 casull is good enough for elk at100 yards or less? Will the 454's shoot as flat as the 460? Does it really matter at that yardage?
[/b]

The 44 Magnum has taken elephant. The .454 Casull is more powerful than the .44 magnum. Elk are GENERALLY not as hard to kill as elephant!!

IF that .460 will shoot the same bullets as are used in the .454 Casull, and do it at higher velocities, which is the reason for the .460 (so I've been told!!), well, yes, it will SHOOT FLATTER than the .454 - naturally!!

Does it really matter? Not one damn bit!!