HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Range Finder
Thread: Range Finder
View Single Post
Old 05-27-2007, 07:34 AM
txjourneyman
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Range Finder

I have a Nikon 440, my brother in law has a BushnellYardage Pro Scout. Just yesterday we did a comparison. Optical quality was better in the Nikon. Not by much but there was a noticable difference. When shooting a target object through brush the Nikon came out way ahead. The Bushnell gave a range for the obstructing brush, the nikon read through the brush to the target object. Operation in rain, the Bushnell was the big winner here. We had some heavy downpours yesterday and the bushnell read right through the heaviest of them. The Nikon could read in light to moderate rain but not the heavy stuff.
Accuracy at known ranges was equally good for both models. We measured the didtances to objects from my garage door and tested the units side by side.
Either of these rangefinders would work well for a bowhunter. The Nikon can generally be found for about $50 less than the Bushnell. My Nikon was a Christmas gift. If I had to go out and buy one for myself it would be a tossup with a lean towards the Bushnell due to its ability to read in heavy rain. That said am I going to be taking a shot in rain that heavy? The Nikon did range well in light to moderate rain. You can't go wrong with a choice between these two. If there are any other side by side tests you would like to see between these two let me know and I'll be happy to put my mad scientist lab coat back on and experiment!