HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Any suggestions for a good mouth call for BEGINNER
Old 05-21-2007, 03:14 PM
quiksilver
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Any suggestions for a good mouth call for BEGINNER

For a beginner, there really is no such thing as a "plug and play" mouth call. They're all difficult to master.

A diaphragm call is essentially a musical instrument, and it does require some level of expertise to make it sing to the limits of its capability.

It takes literally hundreds of hours of practice before you're able to crank out perfect purrs, clucks, cutts and gobbles, but it can be done. It just takes time.

The first thing to do is find a call that has the right fit to your mouth - everyone's mouth is shaped different, and there will be calls that just don't feel right. If I had $1 for every mouthcall I've taken out of the package, put in my mouth, and thrown directly in the trash, I'd be a rich guy.

I prefer the softer taped calls (MAD) - and I have to trim about 1/16"-1/8" off of the edges to get a good fit.

MAD makes two calls that I love - one is called the Metcalf Cutter, and the other is called the Shippwreck (they also sell a Shippwreck 2).I like the colored tape ones, not the white plastic models. They gag me and get too slippery, causing me to accidentally suck them into my throat and darn near die of asphyxiation.

Just pick up a few mouth calls and learn the yelp first. See which call feels and sounds the best, then go from there. Expand your repertoire to add the cluck. Then, learn a cutting, clucking, yelping series. Then go for the purr. Then the fighting purr. If you practice long enough, you can even develop a pretty decent gobble.

I learned mouth calling by leaving a pack of calls in the console of my car. Anytime I'm driving anywhere, I pop one in and start purring and clucking and cutting along with the radio.You've really gotta wonder how many times in the course of human events thatEminem or the *****catDolls' tuneshave been clucked outon a Metcalf Cutter?