HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Arrow Straightness - How Much Does it Matter?
Old 05-17-2007, 12:29 PM
Rick James
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Arrow Straightness - How Much Does it Matter?

It does matter and if broadheads were screwed onto the front of them and if they were shot out of a machine you would notice.

First I do is cut 2" off the back end of the arrows. Then I cut the rest I need off the front. For my competition arrows I care a lot more about what is happening to the nock end than I do the point end. For hunting arrows both ends matter to me and I cull the bad ones out much more carefully. I install broadheads and I spin test them. If they spin good, great. If not, then I may swap broadheads around to see if I can get a few more that spin good. Then I practice shooting them at different spots of course. At this point all arrows are numbered, and I will actually write down where they hit if I feel I executed a clean shot. I will then cull the ones out that don't shoot well and put field points on those too and keep them for practice.

I usually end up with 8-10 arrows out of a dozen goldtips that are "hunting" arrows and meet my standards which means spin good on both ends, weight within 4 grains of eachother (weight is usually spot on with GT's from my experience), and group consistently.