HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Arrow Squaring?
View Single Post
Old 05-13-2007, 07:50 PM
Len in Maryland

Default RE: Arrow Squaring?

Dave:

Your idea of what I am and what I promote is way off-base. You should talk to people who know me or stop by the shop to get a better idea of howmy business isreally conducted. In fact, with the BowTech truck and Pat Dinan (BowTech Shooter) stopping by next Friday afternoon, it might be a good time to visit.

First, I did not call your statement aloof. I was referring to some manufacturers being able to advertise tight tolerances and getting away with it with little to no challenge. You're absolutely right about most shooters not needing .001 and I've never said otherwise. You appear to have a perception that I'm more into target/tournament shooting. That is as far from the truth about me as possible.

Let me address your statements and hopefully straighten this out:
1......the question is how many dozens did you sift through to find that arrow?

I don't let anyone sift through arrows to pick out the best ones and I don't do it personnally. If you ask any of my present or past employees, they'll verify that I will grab a random dozen new shafts for myself and then proceed to build them. In fact, I just grabbed a dozen discontinued Beman Carbon Matrix shafts for myself and built them. Since they were the last dozen I had and were not very popular (but good shafts), it made sense for me to use them rather than build from new stock. Out of the dozen I got 10 that are broadhead quality and the other2 will be for practice. BTW, I practice with a mixed batch of arrows. Ask anyone who's seen me shoot at the shop.

I'm sure that the higher quality shafts have much better tolerances than a cheaper one.

That is a misconception if you're meaning that higher quality relates to higher price. I've got some $60/dz shafts that outperform $120/dz shafts. The ones that I previously mentioned that were supposed to be .001 and went out to .050 were about $120/dz for raw shafts. When we found the first ones that were pretty bad, we decided to check the entire lot of about 200 shafts. Of those, 47% were well beyond the advertised .001 tolerance. We sent them back and even the manufacturer said they were horrible. The next lot they sent were just the same and the third lot achieved 14% rejection rate. We don't buy those arrows anymore. From year to year I'll tell my customers, who are 99% hunters, which company has the better overall yield.

2. The average person does not have the resources to throw out arrows if they do not meet .001 straightness.

In my shop wesell mostly .006arrows andtry to make sure that the yields are the best available. We have to carrysome of the 'name brand' because some customers demand them; but, whenever possible, we steer them to the 'better buys'.

At $10+ a pop I'm not going to throw an arrow away because of that.

We suggest to our customers that they cull the worst of a dozen and use them for practice. After all, that's what I do.

I don't know howI used to shoot Gamegetters accurately at 50 yds based on your criteria of perfection.

First, it appears that you're comparing aluminum arrows to carbon arrows. On the whole, aluminum arrows are consistently straight whereas many carbon arrows vary in straightness and spine consistencyconsiderably.

As far as my idea of perfection, it's making sure you put your best arrow behind a fixed broadhead, along with a well-tuned hunting rig, with the form necessary to make those shots that challenge the best shooters in the world - hunters.

This thread was I belive started for squaring for hunters, not target shooters.

Man, you're so far off base on your perception of me and my customer base. Where/how did you ever get this impression?

At least if the ferrule is in line with the shaft the shaft and broadhead will be in tune with each other and the tip will not steer the arrow.

Onlyif the arrow is straight over it's entire length.Note, the ACDis only relative to a short section of the arrow. Any variations within or outside the fulcrum points can cause problems.

4. It's just as important for the average Joe to tell a manufacturer if there is something wrong with a product. I think manufacturers are more inclined in today's market to listen to individuals then in the past. Especially with the boon in products and small market manufacturers

I totally concur. Problem is that most "average Joe" archers accept what they get and are reluctant to complain.

5. A Pro shop serves a purpose. However, if a person wants to figure things out for themselves through their own testing and experience than that benefits the industry as well. A pro shop also has the responsibility to their customers to listen to what the customer wants and discuss the options.

No problem here. I'm always asking my customers for feedback on products.

A good pro shop does not tell the customer what manufacturer of bow, rest, or arrrow they should use.

Again, you're really off-base on your perception of me. My customers complain that I won't tell them which product to use. I present all the positives and negatives of products and tell them to make an educated decision based on their needs/desires. I think that pushing products on customers is unprofessional. I think that educating customers is professional.

Finally, the invitation is open for you to visit my shop and see for yourself what goes on. Just sit back and listen as I wait on customers.