HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Arrow Squaring?
View Single Post
Old 05-13-2007, 05:03 PM
davepjr71
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Arrow Squaring?

Len,

My statement was far from aloof. It's based on years of shooting andknowing for myselfthat for most shooters you do not need .001 straightness to be a good shot or shoot accurately.

1. I'm sure you have seen an arrow like that. the question is how many dozens did you sift through to find that arrow? I'm sure that the higher quality shafts have much better tolerances than a cheaper one. That is not based on any advertising but common sense and my own intelligence.

2. The average person does not have the resources to throw out arrows if they do not meet .001 straightness. At $10+ a pop I'm not going to throw an arrow away because of that. If the arrow still shoots the X ring at 50 yds it's straight enough to shoot a deer at 20. I don't know howI used to shoot Gamegetters accurately at 50 yds based on your criteria of perfection.I think most of my arrows were bent a little. I used my handsand eyes to straighten them and could out shoot many guys with XX78'sstaightened with a machine.

This thread was I belive started for squaring for hunters, not target shooters.

3. The ASD squares the ferrule of the broadhead with the shaft. Straightness is relative.I'd hazard a wager that the average shooter will not notice the difference between a .001 and a .009 arrow in flight. If that were the case every arrow would be .001. At least if the ferrule is in line with the shaft the shaft and broadhead will be in tune with each other and the tip will not steer the arrow.

4. It's just as important for the average Joe to tell a manufacturer if there is something wrong with a product. I think manufacturers are more inclined in today's market to listen to individuals then in the past. Especially with the boon in products and small market manufacturers

5. A Pro shop serves a purpose. However, if a person wants to figure things out for themselves through their own testing and experience than that benefits the industry as well. A pro shop also has the responsibility to their customers to listen to what the customer wants and discuss the options.A good pro shop does not tell the customer what manufacturer of bow, rest, or arrrow they should use.