HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - .270 WIN Long Range?
View Single Post
Old 05-12-2007, 07:24 AM
eldeguello
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: .270 WIN Long Range?

ORIGINAL: Badger Boy

but im curious if anyone has experience using this caliber at longer ranges even if it were for varmint hunting or target shooting. Thanks
I once shot a relatively small Sitka blacktail buck on Hinchinbrook Island AK with a Mannlicher-Schoenauer 270 carbine at a range of close to 500 yards, give or take. He was across a 300-yard wide glacier from me on the side of a mountain, and bedded down on a rocky slab perhaps 200 yards below my position, which was at the top of the glacier. After shooting him, it took me an hour and a half to climb up, cross above the glacier, and descend to his elevation to begin working on him. Since there was no way back down to sea level from his location, my hunting buddy and I had to put the meat in our packs, tie the head onto the packframe, and climb back up above to the spot wherewe shot him from, and cross the glacier again before we could start down the mountain.

I shot this deer at about 12:30, and it was 7:30 PM when we staggered back out on the beach where we'd tied up our boat!

The load I used was the old-style Nosler Partition 150-grain bullet and 53.5 grains of IMR 4350. MV was 2820 FPS from that 20" barrel, 1/9" twist.

Later on, while stationed at Ft. Carson, CO., I used to shoot this same rifle at distances up to 600 meters on the KD range. It was plenty accurate enough out at 600 to kill big gsame at that range, and shot tighter groups out there than the M14's. (4X Lyman All-American scope on the rifle.)In addition, the Nosler Partition bullet would still expand at that range too.

I no longer own a .270, but still regard it as an exceptional cartridge. If I didn't have three 7X57mm's, I'd buy another .270!