HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - taking rifle on airline?
View Single Post
Old 05-09-2007, 12:41 PM
ShatoDavis

Default RE: taking rifle on airline?

ORIGINAL: Handles

What do you suggest when there is a weight limit? I'm heading on a caribou hunt and we are limited to 60lbs. That case you show weighs 15 by its self add a scoped rifle and you have over 1/3 of the weight allowed. I've got to add in my bow and case along with other gear. Thoughts?
If you're talking the comercial flight, I guess pay the overage rate. If you're talking a bush plane then I guess you can ditch the hard case after the commercial flight, because you won't havebaggage handlers throwing it around.

I've flown with arifleto a lot of places. My father has travelled the world hunting.checking weapons is no big deal.

As far as some airline allowing ammo and weapon to bein the same case....to be honest I rememberawhile back being told not topack ammo with the rifle so ever since I've packed them seperately.

I can not emphasize enough though that you need a very high quality case toput your weapons in prior to checking them with a commercial airline. They get some very serious abuse. Take them to the airport in the case,unloaded, preferably with the bolt out/action open and you shouldn't have a problem. The TSA/airline will inspect them and you'll be on your way.