HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - whats the best deer brush gun for the hills of WV
Old 05-07-2007, 10:03 AM
Duffy
Typical Buck

Default RE: whats the best deer brush gun for the hills of WV

ORIGINAL: Champlain Islander

I use a rem 7600 carbine in 30.06 with a Williams peep on the rear and florescent red fire dot front bead. I take out the insert on the peep and paint the ring florescent red. The gun is very accurate and target acquisition is fast and deadly. My eye centers the large aperture on the peep and I use 180 gr NP in Federal Vita Shock. My only problem was dealing with the peep and stock raised comb on the stock which was designed for scope installation. I got Remington to sell me a matching rear stock from a 20 ga shotgun so the stock closely resembled the old 760 which was designed for open sites only and had a straight stock. No problem getting down on the peep now.
This is a really great answer to the Question. The poll does not really match the question. It always surprises me when a question is asked about a "GUN" and then most of the answers concern a "CARTRIDGE".

"livbucks" and "ButchA" and a couple others talked about what "GUN" they like for work in the bush.

I have a Savage 99 lever action in .300 savage with a 2 to 7 scope on it. It is what I use a lot for bush country hunting.
To my way of thinking the cartridge a bush gun is chambered in is only one factor and not a really important one.

If you showed me a fine bolt action with a 26 inch barrel and a fixed 6 power scope on it, chambered in .300 win. mag. and beside it a win. 94 lever gun, in 30/30 with a peep sight on it and asked me to choose a rifle to hunt deer in the bush. I'd choose "the bush gun" of course.

Robin in Rocky