HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - whats the best deer brush gun for the hills of WV
Old 05-07-2007, 07:50 AM
Doe Dumper
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: whats the best deer brush gun for the hills of WV

Well I have been hunting the brush of WV for the last 30 years or so and everyone has their prefs..but for me I prefer precision. The openings are usually small and things had better go where pointed. Where I hunt which would be typical of Northern WV I'd imagine is sometimes crawl thru thick or you can shoot ridge to ridge which could be 300-500 yards. So that makes it kinda demanding on the gun and the shooter.

The best I have had for outright bang flops was the 30-06 shooting 180 rn's. However I did miss fairly often with it. Went to 270 and 7-08..I dont have the knockdown but I definitely have the precision...well as much as my shooting allows anyways..lol. I started carrying a 300 Savage in a 760 pump last year when I would walk and it done very very nicely on deer as well. So I am a firm believer as Head would say in the big slow moving bullets as they have worked for me also..but most of the time I still use my bolts. Its a tough place to pick a perfect gun...