HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Local outdoor shop.
View Single Post
Old 05-06-2007, 09:54 AM
bigpapa
Typical Buck

Default Local outdoor shop.

So yeasterday I went back to my local guy to see about a scope. I just bought a new rifle the week before and they put my old simmons scope on it. I took an old 20ga to see what I could get for it. The owner looked in 2 books and found the highest price (showed me both) and offered me the higher amount for it. My mouth hit the floor. Now last week when they put the simmons onmy riflethey were nice enough to swap out the rings that came with the gun (Ruger) for me. The rings that came with it were low and I needed high's for the simmons (50mm).Aftergetting an amount for the 20ga tradethe owner and I talked for a bit and I told him I really wanted a 40mm scope to sit lower but I was now stuck having the high rings. He shook his head and said "No problem we can just change them out." I was shocked. Was this guy trying to loose money? I got the new scope and he changed out the rings and re-mounted and bore sighted the it for me. He saved me $50 on scope rings twice (once switching them when I got the gun then again yeasterday). Just because. No other reason. As we talked he told me why most smaller outfits charge $3 to $4 more on items. He said that larger companies such as Bass Pro and Walmart have numerous advantages but two of them are when they purchase land to open a store they set up deals with local cities to NOT pay taxes on the land for up to 20 years. This saves them a ton. Where all the small stores have to pay those taxes and fees. He told me that the gun's are really just a draw he only gets about 5% his main money comes from clothing and supplies. Anywho, I have learned quite happlily to support my local guy. I don't mind paying a few dollars extra to keep the quality service I got. I once was a die hard wal-mart man but after the past two weeks. I'm now a FIRM supporter of my local shop. I hope I'm not breaking HNI rules by putting his info on the bottom of my post (if I am mod's let me know) but for what he has done for me I owe him at least that.