HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - In the perfect world.... (another ethics poll)
Old 05-03-2007, 10:06 AM
NEW61375
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: In the perfect world.... (another ethics poll)

ORIGINAL: il coyote

Where is the option for none? I wouldn't want to disallow any form of legal hunting or legal hunting accessory,
What he's saying is that it's only legal if YOU say so. This is a chance to step out of the 'if-it's-legal-I-have-no-problem-with-it' cloud and actualy give an opinion on YOUR ethics.
Yeah I got it. Basically another thread for people to talk about the kinds of hunting they don't like, what a new concept. I don't think that someones ethics or moral values are compromised by using different hunting styles. A person can be an excellent father, husband, good member of the community,but then theygo hunt over a pile of bait or some fenced ranch or use dogs and now they have poor morals and bad ethics? I'm not into that train of thought, I try to keep things in perspective and I don't think how or where someone chooses to kill a deer defines their moral character most of the time. Ethics by definition is the disciplinedealing with what is good and bad, a set of moral principles or values. The principles of conduct governing an individual or a group. To be ethical is to to conform to professional standards of conduct. I wouldsay that those standards and principles governing us (hunters) as a group are the laws and rules of of your state and Dept. of Game, as far as hunting goes anyways. That doesn't mean that you have to fully agree with everything and you have the rightand ability to not participate in anything that you have a personal problem with, but that doesn't necessarily make it unethical.I don't kill deer over bait or in high fences but I don't think someone that does is doing something bad or unethical and I guess that is why I neverget the point of these threads. Now ifthat person drank a bunch of liquor all night, stole the gun he was using, and dropped off a hooker on the way to his stand which wason a fenced enclosure over a bait pile, then I would say he might be unethical but not because of the fence or the bait. It's all about perspective and of course this is just my opinion.