HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - lever action rifles
View Single Post
Old 01-14-2003, 10:24 AM
hornetguy

Default RE: lever action rifles

...for light and handy, I think the Win 94, or any of the Rossi/Puma/Navy Arms copies of the 92 would be the best way to go. Also the Marlin 94.. If you are going for deer and hogs, I agree with Eldeguello (again) get one of the 92's or 94's in 45 Colt. You won't have quite the range the 30-30 will, but we're only talking probably 50 yds or so less.. the 45 ought to be plenty good out to 100-125yds, I would think. And, if you loaded it with a good hardcast heavy (300gr+) bullet, I think it would shoot through any hog that walked..... and punch a 45 caliber hole doing it. I've got a Win 94 in 375 Winchester, and it's a pleasure to carry. I haven't taken any game with it yet, but I plan to very soon. My dream rifle is probably the Marlin 94 in 45 Colt, and stainless steel, ballard rifling, NO PORTING... although I would be tickled silly with a stainless Rossi 92 in 45 Colt, also.

"Progress, far from consisting in change, depends on retentiveness..those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." Santayana