HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - small munsterlander & braque francais
View Single Post
Old 05-02-2007, 09:29 AM
spuddog
Fork Horn

Default RE: small munsterlander & braque francais

Thanks for the input. When I decide to get a dog, I will make sure that I have the extensive time for the initial training and set a side more time for exercise etc. I do not want a dog with an excessive exercise requirement. If I have to run the dog every day, it's just not going to happen. I also don't have the patience for hyper or attention hungry dogs. The dogs I've had that I've bonded with the most have been female and very independent, intelligent, but not untrainable. They've known their job and do it with little direction (I'm talking about family dogs not hunting). We did have a walker hound once that I loved to death, but she couldn't be trusted off the leash and was very sweet, but short on obedience unless you cornered her and gave her no alternative. I'm not sure if beagles are the same way. I'm not hung up on rare breeds but want a good dog that isn't poluted by "high production breeding". I do have a strong preference for a small or med dog. I'm thinking beagle and boarder collie sized dogs. I love the bigger dogs but will get more out of a smaller dog for my life style. I want a dog that can be part of the family; hunt, camp, fish, park, travel, etc. I know I'm asking for a lot, but I'm going to be patient and thorough in my search and I have time, because my free time to train won't be available until my kids are older.

Tell me more about beagles. I've known a few, but didn't know that they were capable of hunting upland game. I knew about rabbits and tracking. Since Rabbit, Grouse and Pheasant all overlap in Colorado, I personally don't care if my dog finds a rabbit and then moves on to a bird. I'll take both.

Spud