HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Wear & Tear
Thread: Wear & Tear
View Single Post
Old 04-26-2007, 02:32 PM
trouthunter

Default Wear & Tear

When I bought my longbow a few weeks ago at a Cabela'soutlet, I installed the shelf & strike plate leather patch as directed by the Cabelas archery guy. I started shooting the bow with a straight up and down hold when drawn (similar to shooting my compound) and noticed that the edge of the shelf the leather patch was getting worn away, as well as some finish on the lip of the shelf.I thought that the arrow was riding too much on the edgewith the straight up and down hold on the bow, causing the edge wear.I found that with a slighttilting angleof the bow when drawnkept the arrow in the "pocket" of the ledge, and lead to less wear on the edge.[/align][/align]Q1-- Is shooting with a slight angle on the bow normal for a longbow? It seems I have seen photos where most longbow archers shoot that way.[/align]Q2-- I'm looking to replace myshelf & strikeplate with sealskin or bear hair (depending on what is on the shelf and money in the pocket). Is there any need for that little piece of leather under the shelf hide as depicted inthe attached drawing? (The leather shelf & strikeplate plus leather stripcame in the box with the Martin bow)[/align][/align]I'm shooting a 55# @ 28"Martin Savanna with 2117 EastonLegacy arrows w/ 125gr field tips. I have a 30" draw.[/align]