HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Hen setting on nest question
View Single Post
Old 04-25-2007, 05:17 PM
SwampCollie
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Hen setting on nest question

Since we are throwing some interesting facts about I thought I'd share a few myself. Everyone has pretty well covered the nesting issue. Of course once the hens start sitting, the hunting heats up, because the hens are on the nest all day, instead of out looking for gobblers. The Toms, in reaction, start getting love sick and dumb.

Anyhow, poults (baby turkeys) can fly from about their 10th day of life. They look like little quail buzzing around, and if you ever get to see a mother and her poults fly up to roost, its almost enough to make you laugh, baby turkeys in flight are sure a cute sight. Sort of like a Bassett hound puppy, you just gotta smile. Poults also have a call (a whistle really, a precurser to the kee kee) that predators, including humans, can hear, but cannot pinpoint. Something to do with the pitch makes it impossible for humans and other predator animals to tell exactly where the noise is coming from. Sort of like the beep of a wrist watch in a room, hard to tell where its at exactly.