HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Cabela's cap & ball
View Single Post
Old 04-25-2007, 11:35 AM
cayugad
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Cabela's cap & ball

I own one, the 1858 New Army Remington target model in .44 caliber. They are a good shooting revolver. I have no complaints about mine or the way it shoots. It will hold its own at 25 yards with any revolver you want to shoot with. Granted there are better revolvers out there for more money, but if your like me and shoot it once in a while when the mood hits me, or when I go rabbit hunting, it is all the revolver I need. They are made by Fllipetta of Italy.

The reason I went with the Army model is the top steel strap. I also avoid any brass in the framer other then say the trigger guard. I had a navy model many years ago (actually I don't think I was old enough to even have it back then). I had it loaded up shooting cans off a fence and it chain fired on me and stretched the frame. When I took it to a gun smith to have him look at it, he explained while the Navy models are good shooters, they are prone to twisting in the frame more so then the Army models. So now I have an army model. He fixed that old one and I sold it to a fellow that wanted to hang it on the wall in his den. Sounded like a good place for it.

They really are fun revolvers, a pain to clean although there are ways to do it faster. And are accurate. I would not deer hunt with them, but for small game and targets they are a good way to spend the afternoon. My Army shoots 25-30 gr of Goex 3f and a .451 roundball.