HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Sighting in the new Flintlock
View Single Post
Old 04-21-2007, 12:50 PM
cayugad
Dominant Buck

Default Sighting in the new Flintlock

I decided to sight in the new Tradition's .50 caliber Hawkin Woodsman model Flintlock today. I was shooting 80 grains of Goex 2f, Buffalo bullets, and using moose milk pillow tick patch. Also Goex 4f as prime.

It was then I discovered my disadvantage of my new range. Anything closer then 50 yards will have to be done off shooting sticks unless I build more tables around the woods. No problem though, I took the shooting sticks with me and a chair.

First shot on the clean barrel kind of surprised me, but I was holding a strange sight pattern using a full bull hold since I had no idea how this rifle had been sighted in. I discovered it shot very low.

So I cranked the rear sight up to what I thought would be about right. And fired a few more. Still low and to the right. So I adjusted the windage and brought the group over a little. I wanted to hold with a full open bull, so I cranked the rear sight up just a click or two, and it shot just above the other group.

Another minor adjustment and I finally had it hitting the bulls eye where I wanted. I did throw one real bad. That rifle just went off before I was ready in the sticks. Nice clean trigger on the rifle, but you have to be careful with it.

Then to prove to myself that I had the rifle sighted in, I had a crushed Diet Pepsi can out there, so I laid that on its side and took three shots at it. It went flying all three times.

I am still on the same flint as yesterday. I have no idea of the number of shots I have taken off this flint but I only had one POOF! that did not go off. The pan fired fine mind you, so I poked the vent hole and the next pan fire shot it off just fine. Nice fast ignition also.

This is a real sweet little rifle. Easy to carry and fast to shoulder. I think I am going to like this one a lot.