HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - .45 ACP / .45 GAP - Semi-autos
View Single Post
Old 04-20-2007, 10:45 PM
BigTiny

Default RE: .45 ACP / .45 GAP - Semi-autos

Glocks are available in both calibers. I didn't notice much difference in the .45 GAP when it came out as opposed to the ACP round. About the same feel and recoil. I wound up sticking with the .40, mainly because it is what I am used to. For the smaller Glock, I went with the 26 in 9mm. I have big hands and holding on to that little handle was easier to manage in 9mm and it gives me better control in rapid fire. Also, my wife sometimes carries it and she doesn't like the .40. I'm a big fan of Glock, so I don't know much about other makes. The only other autos I have shot were the 1911 and the M9. If you are looking at larger calibers, I can reccommend you stay away from the 10mm. I have heard some complain about the angle of the grip on the Glock, saying it didn't feel natural. Find a shop with a range and try some on for size, the one you feel comfortable and confident with will probably be your best bet. My favorite feature of the Glock is the trigger reset, which allows you to hold the trigger down after the shot, then slightly let off until you feel a small click. The trigger can then be squeezed again to cycle another round. Once your finger learns where the reset point is, you can crank up your rate of fire as fast as you are willing to train it to be. Back when I practiced a lot, I could draw from a level 2 safariland holster and fire 15 rounds into a target at 7 yards, and reload in 3 seconds. Never could get fast enough on the reload to fire a round out of the second mag before the target refaced. I don't know if other makes have this feature now, but it would be one of the first questions I asked. Good luck and let us know what you picked!