HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Stand Hunting...
View Single Post
Old 04-20-2007, 11:43 AM
AJ52
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Stand Hunting...

It seems to me that this is a pretty lazy method of hunting.
Wow - that's a very matter of fact statement condemning ALL stand hunters as lazy.Is this an attempt to Stir the Pot - sure sounds like it.

Instead of getting out and stalking the deer, you hang a stand up in a tree or sit in a little house up on stilts and wait for the deer to walk by.
I would much rather stalk deer,a great way to hunt and did so when I had vast expances of land to do so.Stalking or still hunting is not much of an option on small tracts of land where 1/2 dozen+ hunters might also be stalking or still hunting.You never know where other hunters might be,and often only accomplish pushing deer out of area.

In my neck of the woods(flat lands,coastal region)there are vast expances of marsh/wet lands with 8-10' stands of Fragmitis(sp),Marsh Grass,Sink Holes etc.These areas hold some huge animals that can't be stalked/still hunted of even seen unless your in a 10-12-14' stand,or they move out into clear within Shotgun or Muzzle range.These deer hide where hunters can't or should not attempt to venture.So we hunt from stands.

Lazy - I don't think so.

Most of the time they have someone drive them to their stand with an ATV or 4x4 and then after they shoot the deer they just drive up and throw it in the pickup or on the ATV
Maybe in Texas but not around here.Matter of fact very small percent of hunters have ATV'S and many don't have 4WD.

I've seen more ATV'S - Hydraulic high reach stands mounted in a P/U bed, - 20ft+ Box stands - and even seen Quail hunters use Golf Carts in Texas than any other state I've been in.Is all this lazy or unethical - I don't think so.

How about Bow Hunters in stands - Lazy??