HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Stand Hunting...
View Single Post
Old 04-20-2007, 10:21 AM
npaden
Nontypical Buck

Default Stand Hunting...

Since it seems that every week or so a form of hunting gets put on the chopping block as lazy, unethical or slob hunting I thought we could try to put hunting from a deer stand on the block this week.

It seems to me that this is a pretty lazy method of hunting. Instead of getting out and stalking the deer, you hang a stand up in a tree or sit in a little house up on stilts and wait for the deer to walk by. Often this is done using scents and calls to further entice the deer to walk by. The deer don't seem to have much of a chance, it is like shooting ducks off a pond. Just because it is the primary method that most people use to hunt deer doesn't make it right. [:@]

Most of the time they have someone drive them to their stand with an ATV or 4x4 and then after they shoot the deer they just drive up and throw it in the pickup or on the ATV and haul it back to the shed to even field dress it. Forget having to field dress a deer miles from the nearest road and quartering the deer up to be able to haul it out.

It seems to me that hunting from a stand isn't really hunting at all.

My 2 cents.