HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Caliber selection
View Single Post
Old 04-19-2007, 06:23 PM
neoinarien
Spike

Default Caliber selection

I'm sure this has been beaten to death, and perhaps someone wants to sticky this, but I was wondering what kind of caliber selection would be appropriate.

I've done a lot of reading on this for hog hunting, and my reading suggests that most folks go big, .35 remington and higher. But there does seem to be a some who use 30/30, 6.5x55 and the like and rely on better placement. Is this practical? Would using pistol calibers from cowboy shoots work?

Should I understand caliber as being loosely based on the size of the hog, or can a well placed 30/30 defeat even a 800 beast?

It seems foolish to play to their strengths by trying to blast through the shoulder plate, meaning we must shoot around it. But if the issue then comes down to penetration and placement, then a smaller faster more accurate round seems to be the place to go instead of leveling up to a .444 and the such.

As part of this, what kind of range do you all find that you most typically engage hogs? If people are engaging at primarily 50-100 yards, it seems that certain calibers would be more appropriate than if it's primarily 75-125 (although I'm guessing that most taking happens in about 10-50 yards from my reading).

Was just interested in getting some insight.