HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 5 years have produced, read my story.............
Old 01-14-2003, 05:06 PM
farm hunter
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 5 years have produced, read my story.............

Buckmine,

Its good to hear your program is working out in your favor. Measuring success is a difficult thing to do. As you've indicated, its not only measured in the size of the racks you may or may not harvest - but in the quality of your hunt.

In my own situation, this year appears on the outside to be a step backward for us as far as weight of deer harvested goes. The weight of the deer we harvested was down 10-15 % across the board for gender and age class, compared to last year. After 5 years of increased body weight in each class, the drop came as a suprise to us. However, a one year drop does not neccessarily indicate a trend, it could be we've leveled out somewhat - or the year was an anomoly. Time will tell.

But back to the quality of the hunt.......We saw more deer, passed up more bucks.......and hunted less pressured deer as a result of good food plots, and 3 previous seasons of our plan to increase the number of 2-1/2yr old bucks.