HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Antler Growth of MT Whitetails
View Single Post
Old 04-17-2007, 12:22 PM
MTdrahthaar
Fork Horn

Default RE: Antler Growth of MT Whitetails

That is a lot of sheds there Dirt. You must have a really good wintering range you are walking. I would keep that one to yourself. I walk a lot of miles and haven't found probably 25 sheds in the last 3 years. But I am curious, are you in Lincoln, Flathead? I live in the east Flathead Valley and would tend to agree, although its hard to tell the age of a buck from its sheds. Did you age the three deer you killed? I would be curious to have the data from all the check stations on the whitetails and rough score to go with the jawbone.
The other thing I would really like to know is how many 5.5 y.o. deer we have period. Between the cats and the wolves in NW MT, I bet the relative number is quite low. Most of what I see is the typical 4x4 basket buck, probably 3.5, scoring 115. We are inundated with them. Seems like just getting that 5th tine on a buck anymore is a feat in itself.
And even with the predators and the hunters, NW MT is still clearly one of the best places to get a true B&C whitetail. Have you ever looked at the distribution map on the B&C sight? Very few "red" counties in the west, but there is Lincoln, Flathead, Ravalli Counties.