HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Shooping for a scope and need some advice.
Old 04-14-2007, 08:01 AM
bugsNbows
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Shooping for a scope and need some advice.

IMO, the Leupold top end scopes (not the Rifleman or VXI) are quite durable. This is true particularily in the smaller sized, lower powered units ... like the VXIII 2.5 - 8 X 36 for example. More often than not, the smaller, lighter scopes hold up better than the large diameter objective scopes with lots of variable power or adjustible objectives. You may even consider a fixed power rather than a variable (less to go wrong you know). A 4X is sufficient for many typical hunting applications.

Another very good (and less expensive option to the VXIII's or VX7 Leuppy's) are the Bushnell Elite 4200's. I've found them to be bright, tough and a good value. John Barsness (shooting guru, gun looney, smith, optical wizzard and writer for Rifle mag) rates the Bushnell 4200's as one of his all time favorites for toughness and shootability on the big recoiling calibers. I'd sure take his word over a non-expert such as myself. Anyway, that's my $.02. Figure out what you want and then price check on the many websites out there for some good deals right now. I'd check SWFA, Optics Planet, Optics Spot, Natchez, Midway, Bear Basin Outfitters, etc. Good luck in you quest.