HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Are Crossbows Considered Archery???
View Single Post
Old 04-07-2007, 08:18 AM
BuckAlley
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Are Crossbows Considered Archery???

In my opinion a gun is a gun, a compound is a compound, and recurve is a recurve, and a crossbow is a crossbow. Guns have separate seasons, bows (compund & traditional only)have separate season, so crossbows should be a separate season. Just becasue a crossbow has limbs, string, and fires a shorter arrow called a bolt, doesn't put it in the same catagory as archery. The crossbow is always cocked and loaded, ready to fire, mounted on a stock, shoulder held, fired strictly by a trigger release, is drawn into position by a crank or use of the foot. Therefore why isn't the question ever asked, is the crossbow a gun?
I feel, and always have if you don't have to draw it back by hand, physically hold it in the firing position, and release a string by hand(or hand held rel aid)to let the projectile go, being a arrow shaft. Then its NOT ARCHERY. Regardless how so many look at it. I don't understand why so many feel this weapon belongs or needs to be in Archery only seasons. Especially when all one has to do is take the time to learn and shoot a bow of some type. Perhaps its the fact the crossbow is a much easier weapon to shoot properly taking less practice to master. I watched a show once, where some city teenagers who have never ever fired a gun or bow pick up a crossbow, and hit their target dead nuts at 20yds the first few shots. They are easier to shoot than a bow, pure & simple. Is it fair to all the hunters who have spend hrs, and yrs mastering the art of archery to have other hunters who are not willing to take the time to learn to shoot a bowinto the same woods at the same time? If you want to hunt earlier during archery season, then learn to shoot a friggen bow!! Archery hunters are a proud group, and we welcome anyone thats wants to enjoy the art, and pursue game with a bow. You read countless posts on here how so many lend advice, and help the beginner, and troubled. Why ruin it by a weapon thats not the same.
Where do we draw the line. Do we next allow rifles for turkey hunting, machine guns for deer hunting, heck lets throw in some dynomite while at it. Better yet just open 1 season, and use whatever friggen weapon ya like!! [:'(]I fully understand we all as hunters need to stick together. But we also have to protect what we consider ethical, and traditional. The crossbow lobbyists are the ones that started this fight, not the bow hunters. Can you blame us for wanting to protect what bowhunters have worked yrs, and yrs to gain. What would our archery ancestors think like Fred Bear, Ben Pearson, David Martin, and countless others that spent yrs, and yrs to get where we are today.
Why don't the crossbow lobbyists fight for their own season, why is it always archery season? Here in NY why not put crossbows strictly in w/muzzleloading season?
Far as the handicapped I feel for you I really do, and thats the one area I wouldn't mind seeing the laws lessoned on if thats the only means to keep a person hunting. But their is also otherwaysfor the handicapped to use a compound or traditional equipment. There are many devices now available for the handicapped to place on their bow to aid them in its use. 1 big example is a draw lock device. In NY these are attainable with the modified bow permit. If I were handicapped ya dam well bet I'd have one myself to use my compound still!
So all you crossbow users, and lovers walk your own line. Fight your own fight. Let archery remain as true archery. Stop trying to taint what we've worked so hard for. If crossbow hunting had its own separate season outside of archery season I'd even be interesting in trying it out. It'd be something different. I think the crossbow is a neat weapon, but in its own place!