HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - GPS
Thread: GPS
View Single Post
Old 04-07-2007, 07:34 AM
Offshootboy

Default RE: GPS

I also have an etrex legend and I think its ok.
I use it for hunting and fishing and it works great for making waypoints and then finding that spot again later. But I bought the fishing hotspots software for $100 and the maps are real generic. I fish alot on Mille Lacs Lake in Minnesota and the depths on my gps arent anywhere close to what it actually is. So basically all it does is gives you a real vague idea of what the structure is and the rest is up to you.
Which is why I am probably going to get a lowrance in a week or two. I know a few people who have a Lakemaster pro chip for their lowrance and they go to a spot where it says theres a small hump, or some sort of structure and sure enough there it is.

I'm not trying to bash Garmin or anything, they make some good products too.
It really comes down to what your going to use it for. And like with everything, you get what you paid for.

The best thing you could do is go talk to someone who sells them, tell them what you will use it for and look at all you different options, ask people that own different units what they think of them. And maybe go in the field with them and see for your self how well they work.