HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - how do i clean up a skull?
View Single Post
Old 04-03-2007, 07:44 PM
Drew307
Spike

Default RE: how do i clean up a skull?

I have been doing european skull mounts for about 10 years now and I think I have a simple process that has excellent results! The skull that you have looks like it has been sitting in the elements for a while causing some natural staining. First I would wash it with some dawn dish detergent and see how clean it gets. If their is still some staining try soaking it in a bucket of coleman lantern fuelin a safe place as its very combustable.I usually only soak bear skulls andpredator skulls as they are very greasy.But the coleman fuel might help in your situation. After it sits for a week take it out and wash with water and continue to flush with water until their is no more fuel residue. Let it dry and go to a beauty supply store and buy Clairol Basic White bleaching powder. Its a powerfull hair whitener that doesn't eat bone. Mix the powder with liquid peroxide (40%) into a gravy consistency and brush onto and into the skull completely covering it. Place into a clear garbage bag and place outside in the sun for 24 hrs. after 24 hrs. open bag and wash off all paste residue. repeat the was bath and let soak in water for a few hours. Take the skull out and hang it up to dry. You can leave it like that or spray a clear coat sealer on it. The only sealer that will keep your skull white is Krylon clear coat. Any other spray tints either rose or yellow with age. Good Luck!!!