HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Crisbow MK III
View Single Post
Old 04-02-2007, 04:39 PM
GrumpyTom
Typical Buck

Default RE: Crisbow MK III

Back in the day .... late 70's and early 80's ...... probually in the 80's .... memory is not actually that great to remember exact dates.

There was only really two quality crossbows the Astro Daco and then the Excalibur Relayer. All others were basicllay known as a waste of time. Dependability and accuracy just were not there with the others and after the Excalibur, even the Astro Daco was put way behind in proformance.

Actually Astro Daco made more then one crossbow. The two that I know a little about were 120 & 150 pound models. I can't remember the name of the 120lb model, the 150lb model was called the Scropion.

Your picture of the limb tip looks like what was available back then,just look the limbs over really good, looking for checking through the tips going the length of the limb and on the inside of the limb, that is on the part facing you (not away from you when shooting) behind the stock. The one piece limbs did have a problem in splitting off a chunk (had to explain but like a washer shapped piece off the width of the limb). Never use anything but DACRON STRINGS with these limbs or your limb would be ruined very quickly.

The picture of the scope looks close to what Horton put out for a crossbow scope (too many lines for me). Personally I think that your fater-in-law might not have as plesant a time using it as he would if he had a better quality bow. I can remember many hunters back then complaining about the crossbows back then that used the cheaper models. Just let him use your bow once in a while so he can see the difference in the two (so he knows what a quality bow can do) and he should do ok until he gets the better bow for himself.

From past history and memory, I could never recomend a crissbow to anyone, but since you already got it, in hand and you know alot about the quality of the newer bows, maybe you can get it working better. Becareful, if I rememberr, these bows did have a trigger that was needing to be alot bettter. I think Jim C had alot more knowledge on these bows.

Good luck.