HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - "Fred" comes through again
View Single Post
Old 04-02-2007, 07:03 AM
SpringHillFarms
Spike

Default "Fred" comes through again

It was an awesome sight yesterday morning when the gobbler attacked. I had been working a love-starved bird since sunrise for about 40 minutes when he finally flew down. I was sitting on the edge of a freshly planted corn field on only my second hunt of the season as I hoped to get bird #2. "Fred", my imposter of a gobbler, was successful on opening day last weekin helping me closethe deal on bird #1, and now he was back again with his enticing hen postured before him.
The gobbler stepped into the field about 85 yards away and immediately began coming in my direction along the wood line. Suddenly, about 75% in strut and red-faced with fury, the gobbler ran violently to Fred and tried to kill him. He slammed his spurs into Fred--but Fred was not deterred, still staring at the lovely hen in waiting. This enraged the gobbler who attacked again with even greater velocity, this time slamming Fred into the ground. It was then, from only 15 yards, I did some slamming of my own as my 3 1/2" #5s whacked the attacker and ended the battle.
Ole Fred had come through for me again, but this time he had two spurs holes in his side to show for it.
And who says strutting gobblers don't work?