HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Custom Rifle Project
View Single Post
Old 01-07-2003, 01:15 PM
Vapodog
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Custom Rifle Project

Custom guns are rather personal and I assure you'll have some cash tied up in it and will never get it back!!

I'd personally look for a used model 70 for my action. You might like the commercial mauser action imported by Charles Daly, they also have barreled actions available and also in mini actions for the .22 hornet and the .223. The Remington 700 also makes a fine action for a custom rifle but they are most ofted used as a varmint action.

My personal prejudice for barrels runs to Douglas Premium although there's many excellent barrel makers. (assuming you don't buy a barreled action)

You can build up a custom action from a military '98 Mauser, but I'd advise to get a commercial action if mausers are in your "thing".

If you decide to rework a '98 mauser, I'd like to see you find a BRNO or a "Mauserwerk"...possibly a 1909 Argentine, an FN, or a J P Sauer. Best dates are from 1935 to 1943 and these actions can be made to handle cases from .222 (yes, that's not a typo) to .358 Norma mag. But you got some work to do!

I'm a strong believer in glass bedding see Brownell's catalog...

If this is going to be a prairie dog gun, I'd put on a stainless barrel (save the cost of blueing)

You didn't say if this is to be a deer rifle, moose rifle, target rifle, or what.....probably ought to say that first!!