HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Who said that physics wasn't fun?
View Single Post
Old 03-31-2007, 03:42 AM
Straightarrow

Default RE: Who said that physics wasn't fun?

ORIGINAL: gzg38b

ow what does this all mean to an average bowhunter? Not a whole lot since just about any arrow that can be safely shot from a 50-70 pound bow will pass through North American animals. But if I were going to Africa, I'd definitely be using 600 grains arrows over 300 grain arrows!
I guess this is the part I have a problem with. In my opinion it means everything, especialy to the average bowhunter. The guaranteed passthough just isn't true. What if you hit the shoulder blade of a large north american animal? What if you hit the front legbone of a smaller north americn animal? Does anyone think the 300 grain arrow will do as good a job as a 600 grain one? Heck, the average bowhunter is the one most likely to not make a perfect shot everytime. He is much better off with the heavier arrow that will do a better job at penetrating when he messes up. You can never have too much penetration.

I definately agree with mass being the main part of penetration.ButI agree with the mass of the arrow meaning thickness.Mass thickness or stiffness will penetarte better than an equally weighted thin walled arrows.

But don't overlook spine.It plays a HUGE role.
TFox, this is why high FOCs are so important. Put the weight up front, and those factors won't be as critical.