Community

Team 2 ~ Team Turknado

Old 04-29-2015, 11:11 AM
Fork Horn

Turkeys gobbled alot this morning. A hen flew out and fed in the field. Finally got the gobblers to come into the field. Came in strutting and spitting and drumming. Walked towards my hen decoy out about 30 yards, then turned and came in to the jake decoy at 20 yards. Dropped him right before he got to the decay. He had at least two jakes and two hens with him. Went back out until noon to get a buddy his second, had a tom come into about 40 yards but he couldn't see him. Tom walked off and kept gobbling. Better luck for him tomorrow.
Old 04-29-2015, 11:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hanging my head in shame. Opening day today, took a ride to the 200 acre farm in CT that usually holds birds but I never seem to connect at (had a bunch of close calls though, usually my fault when things go south.) Got there at that perfect time, just before dawn. Didn't hear any gobbling at all, ignored the landowner's mention of sightings in the upper field and started going towards the lower fields where I know birds usually roost. Gave a few owl hoots on my way but heard nothing. Figured I'd set up on a field edge and do some blind calling. Put a single hen decoy out about 20 yards. clucked and yelped periodically for about 30-35 minutes. Thought I heard something behind me but was focused on some movement off on the right side of the field. I did another series of clucks when I hear a gobble off to my left. I shifted my eyes over and there is a bird standing in the field off to my left about 30 yards away. He came silently out of nowhere. It's a whole different story about my eyesight and not being able to see my fiber sights the night before at home, but I had been able to see them this morning, took aim at my decoy to be sure. I eased my gun to the left as he was closing the distance and settled on his neck and shot. Pretty sure I hit him, but he took off running. I took a second shot at him on the run and he went down. It wasn't until I got to him that I realized I had just shot a Jake. Anyway, I figured it was early and decided to keep hunting, tried another spot by one of the upper fields but heard nothing. I was thinking I might go to work since it was so early and I packed up. On my way off the farm I did see 3 more birds in the field but didn't get a good look at them before they disappeared over a rise. I stopped, was thinking about setting up again, but figured I'd save them for another day. I never did go to work though, in hind sight I probably should have tried to set-up on those birds.
Old 04-29-2015, 02:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Way to go jmedenf! A very nice bird.

RI...keep at it. You'll get a nice one.
Old 04-29-2015, 09:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats guys!!!!!
Old 05-01-2015, 07:28 AM
JW
Super Moderator

Warning......Warning......JoeA Robinson..........i have an upgrade.........a limb hanger....
608 AM. 20 lb 10 oz........i need to measure spurs but he clearly is a 4 yr old or older....you can use the spurs to limb hang him.......measurements to follow but i have moved my set up 20 miles and am back out.
Fort McCoy Sargent Turkey is done.......time to get my Season 3 tag in order.....
Might be back with anudder....LOL
JW

Left spur 1.23 inches right 1 5/16s
Beard two strands 11.5 inches
Pics to follow
Heck of an upgrade 69.25 think that is right.

Last edited by JW; 05-01-2015 at 06:20 PM.
Old 05-01-2015, 01:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats JW!
Old 05-01-2015, 06:15 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Congrats to all who scored......
JW
Old 05-02-2015, 12:00 PM
Fork Horn

Was out this am. Had a couple toms hung on me , wouldn't leave their hens. Moving set-up tonight when we go to roost beds tonight. Hopefully will come in bow range. Using bow for 1st couple weeks of season then if no luck then bringing out shotgun.
Old 05-02-2015, 08:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

I probably won't be getting back out until next Saturday. Great job to everyone who has scored so far!!!!!
Old 05-02-2015, 09:50 PM
Typical Buck

Sadly my season has come to an end. One bird, one miss, and one that I should have pulled the trigger on but didn't. Odd year. Lots and lots of birds taken on the WMA I hunted, probably the largest number ever. The birds didn't chase the calls like an 18 year old at Spring Break which tells me that most were older class birds.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.