Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2015 Turkey Contest
2014 Returning champs The Turkey Killers >

2014 Returning champs The Turkey Killers

Community

2014 Returning champs The Turkey Killers

Old 04-16-2015, 02:37 PM
Super Moderator

I've noticed a few of the other teams entries do not have pics of the birds on a scale or using a tape to measure the spurs and beard. Is this still a requirement?
Old 04-16-2015, 02:49 PM
Fork Horn

I honestly didn't know that was part of the contest rules... you have my word I'll make sure that I do that from now on.
and I will encourage the rest of my team to do the same.

Good luck guys!
BDB
Old 04-16-2015, 08:04 PM
Super Moderator

Welp Tornados went thru my hunting area about an hour ago. Gonna be hard to find anything more than likely lol. I'll give it a go anyway.

Hey Donnie it wasn't just yours thats why I was asking if it was still required. This is all in fun anyway. Heck of a bird ya got buy the way. Congrats
Old 04-17-2015, 01:00 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by kellyguinn
I've noticed a few of the other teams entries do not have pics of the birds on a scale or using a tape to measure the spurs and beard. Is this still a requirement?
Yes it is in the rules.. But, that is up to a mod to address rather than us.. But, that should be addressed rather quickly to help prevent any future issues..

I am not doubting anyone's birds but I do agree rules are made for a reason..

I can hardly wait to get out there and join the fun..

Last edited by Phil from Maine; 04-17-2015 at 01:19 AM.
Old 04-17-2015, 03:06 AM
Super Moderator

Need a little help. I've never hunted turkeys after a severe storm. The tornado missed one spot I at but it did drop just over 5" of rain overnight. While still dark I've tried to get a few shock gobbles with no luck. Do yall think they will still hit the open fields like after a slight rain or stick to the cover and rest after all the commotion last night?
Old 04-17-2015, 03:24 AM
Fork Horn

I wonder if a kee kee would work.
I'd bet they are pretty scattered.
Old 04-17-2015, 05:21 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by kellyguinn
Need a little help. I've never hunted turkeys after a severe storm. The tornado missed one spot I at but it did drop just over 5" of rain overnight. While still dark I've tried to get a few shock gobbles with no luck. Do yall think they will still hit the open fields like after a slight rain or stick to the cover and rest after all the commotion last night?
While I am not accustomed to tornadoes and the like. We do get some pretty big storms and last spring was no exception with roads being washed out and the like. I had to travel for a few days taking detours around the wash outs.. They took me quite a way to be able to get around them.. The birds were still where I went hunting and very seldom would I get a gobble out of them. 1 bird took 2 hours to even let me see him and they had not been hunted yet where I was set up at. Not 1 gobble came out of him at all. After he showed himself it was another half hour before he would come into range. All I used was a slate while keeping my calling to a minimum. I called about once every 15 to 20 minutes apart. It made for a long morning, but, sometimes you just never know what they will do..
Old 04-17-2015, 07:41 AM
Typical Buck

Went out and listened this morning, and heard several birds hammering in the area I plan to hunt in the morning. Hopefully they will still be talking
Old 04-17-2015, 07:44 AM
Typical Buck

Who all starts their season in the morning?

Last edited by swampbuster; 04-17-2015 at 07:47 AM.
Old 04-17-2015, 08:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well I've been playing ring-around-the-mountain with the gobblers but no score yet. We setup Sunday and had two gobblers around 200 yards away. Neither would come to us and we heard some coyotes and everything shut down. Left that night for our family farm. For two days we almost heard no gobbles and I had one hunter setup next to me in the dark one morning. Everyone we talked to says they haven't heard gobbles in the past two years. Most think its coyotes but I haven't heard any. We headed back to the mountains where we were at least hearing toms. Had to go back to work Wednesday but my two friends from out of town tried to get on the birds from the weekend. They had two toms come in on them but missed the opportunity trying to get a double. They had a couple other encounters with these toms but no connection. Using the info they gave me I went out before work yesterday and I didn't hear a gobbler close by. I did hear two back on the other side of the road. Moving to the other side of the road I wasn't able to get anything to answer back. Hope to get on one tomorrow.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.